Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Individual Project: Understanding the Brand

In order to design t-shirts for my individual project, I felt like I needed to research the brand of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. This is because my project is essentially merchandising therefore when designing my products, they would need to look like they belong to this brand. To do this research I looked at the company's website to understand some of the visual background behind Ben & Jerry's.


As you can see, the design of the website is very clean but somewhat rustic in areas such as font choice. The fonts shown are used throughout all of their branding from their own merchandise to the products they sell. From this I have learned than my t-shirts should use a similar font or if possible the same font to keep in line with their merchandising style. Including similar colours would be something that I will attempt to do with my own designs. However in the brief, it focuses on being as original as possible meaning I will have to put my own spin on their brand.


The colours they have used are bright and crisp instead of being very corporate. This shows the fun-nature of the company which would be something I would love to capture through my own design. Throughout the language on the site, the brand that Ben & Jerry's has create is something that isn't perceived as a company but more of a product. The product being their ice cream flavours, but showing that they aren't appealing to an elegant and elitist audience. I strongly believe that this brand is one that I can adapt my design style too rather easily because of it's unprofessionalism even though it is a professional company. This tongue-in-cheek approach to their branding is what makes this company unique and is why I chose this as my brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment