Monday, 14 January 2013

Developing a Response: Madrid 2012

1: Realising an Idea


This is the first attempt that I have had at creating a response to my trip to Madrid in October, 2012. While on my trip in Madrid, I came across two pieces of artwork where a photograph by the famous photographer Imogen Cunningham and an artist called Romare Bearden who created a piece of artowkr called "Sunday After Sermon". These where two pieces of art that stood out for me for both the way that they where presented, showing very different scenes. I decided for my response I would take aspects from both of these pieces of artwork then attempt to create a digitally manipulated collage in Photoshop using some of the images I took while I was on the trip. This first step was for me to get my ideas into a space which I could begin to experiment and development it into a final response. The first few things which I found didn't work well in this first image is that the colours seemed to merge together. This made the image uninteresting to look at, therefore I would have to experiment with different colours. In addition to this, the main subject of the image (the homeless person in botton right) didn't look as well merged with the rest of the image. 

2: Experimenting with an Idea


The next stage which I took in developing this response to begin experimenting with different styles to bring out what is best for the response. First I had to fix the homeless subject in the botton right so that it fitted in with the rest of the image. I decided to make only the homeless person black and white which would make him separate to the rest of the image. After this I decided to make the whole image black and white just incase it brought out all of the detail in the image. As you can see, it didn't bring out much detail therefore making it dull to look at. Therefore from doing this I have learned that I need to make the image more interesting to look at.

3: Developing an Idea

After deciding that the image shouldn't be all black and white I thought i'd create the image being half in colour and then the other half without colour. I believed that this made the image more interesting to view when compared to just being black and white. Using two separate layers of the same image and the eraser tool, I created the effect of the colour fading out. I believe that this has created an interesting effect. To finish my response I will have to use Photoshop to refine this image so that it can become the highest quality possible.

4: Finalising a Response

This is the final outcome from developing my idea from Madrid. To refine my idea, I edited the layers of the image by changing the levels of contrast so it would make the colours more vibrant but still keep the right side black and white. Making the colours even more vibrant was key for the development of my piece because it would make the image more interesting to view. Also it makes the images more detailed than the previous image. I felt like this outcome responded to my trip to Madrid well as it incorporated themes that I had learned from the artwork I encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment