In my Applied ICT course at A Level, we have begun a new unit of our coursework which is about creating an interactive multimedia product based on a set brief by a client. The brief is as follows...
Project Brief: You have been asked to create a prototype of a multimedia product that will teach road safety. The product will be aimed at children between the ages of three and six years. The main character in the product will be a cartoon character. Your product must allow users some interactivity so that parents and children can personalise it. For example, parents could be given the ability to choose a name for the main character, or children using the product could choose the clothing that the character is wearing. Your client has also asked that any child using the completed product should be able to pause it at any stage, as well as repeat any section.
So far I have decided that I am going to create a game that is going to be centred around a quiz but contain some basic platforming elements so that it will appeal to the target audience. I will most likely be using Adobe Flash to create this product however I will user additional software for the graphic design sections of the product. For the graphical elements, I will need to create the characters (both male and female) an external character that is like a mascot for the game, backgrounds, items, levels, menus and other features.
This is a character I have designed for a interactive multimedia game I am developing for my A2 Applied ICT coursework. This character was initially drawn, by hand, in pencil then over lined in black fineliner pen. Designing the characters was a difficult task because I wanted them to be human and normally I find it difficult to design human characters that are realistic. However because my game is being aimed at children between the ages of three and six, it doesn't need to have realistic designs. In fact, the more cartoony it looks the better. This character will be known as "Danny" when I am explaining him through my written coursework. Even though in the game, the character will not have a specific name because the name will be customisable by the user. Also I might even refer to this character as Danny when using Adobe Flash code to control/customise the character. I will have to design different pieces of clothing that can be swapped out so the user can customise their character which I will probably use Illustrator to create them too.
These are the designs that developed into my female character design for my interactive multimedia game. The reason why I have a female character in addition to the previous male character Danny is because the user needs to have a choice between a male and female character. This is because customisation is key within the brief of our multimedia product. This character will be referred to as Jane during development just because its a girl name that I can associate with this image. I created this character the same way as my previous character using a physical design of pencil and fine liner pen then to this digital version using Adobe Illustrator. If you where to look at the physical drawings of the female character, she doesn't look like this character much besides the head and the body was created as something completely new. Adding a coloured in version of the characters is useful for me because it allows me to see how well the design works when incorporated with specific colours. These colours may not be the same ones that will be on the final designs because the colour of skin, clothes and hair could be customisable by the user in the menus.
The software I used to create this digital version of the character was Adobe Illustrator. These designs are the first time I have ever used Adobe Illustrator software because I would normally use Adobe Photoshop. However because the game may need to upscale and downscale the character images therefore I will need to save them as vectors. This will allow me to change the size of the images without any pixelation making the images look more professional when used in the product. I mainly used the Pen tool when creating this character because I could create a smooth effect with it whereas if I has just used the line tool the character wouldn't have turned out as well. I am very happy with how the character has turned out from my first experience with using Adobe Illustrator and I will be using it to create the other characters that are going to be included in my game.


No comments:
Post a Comment