Saturday, 3 May 2014

London 2012: Minimalistic Sports Poster

In the first semester, our first task was to create a poster for a sports event using any medium we liked. I stuck to illustration as its my strongest skill and I wanted to show was I can do as my first task. Then I had to decide on a sports event that I felt could be portrayed well enough with the skills I have. Eventually, it came between the Heineken Rugby Cup Final for 2015 that is based in Cardiff or choosing Usain Bolt's 100m Sprint Race from the London 2012 Olympics. I decided to go with the 2012 Olympics because it was a more iconic and important event. 




This was the final design that I created for the event. I went playing with the idea of Lightning as a play on words with his name Usain Bolt. Some of my inspiration came from the news articles that I can remember seeing in newspaper around the time of the Olympics. This lead me to come up with the phrase "Lightning Never Strikes Twice..." to be the title of the poster. Originally it was going to be a portrait poster of one silhouette of Bolt running however I felt like I needed to add more to the poster to make it more engaging. Therefore I multiplied the amount of silhouettes on the poster and with each one, i'd lower the opacity to give the illusion of running into a blur. This is one of my favourite pieces of work i've created this year at university and I feel it truly shows the best of my illustration skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment