Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Pinterest: How Helpful is Research?

From ever since I started my Creative and Media Diploma back in 2010, I'd always been taught about how important research was. Whether it was creating artwork and developing website designs; taking inspiration from the work around you was crucial. Even looking at specific artists to improve your own work or taking inspiration from what is already out there. So now i'm at University, telling you to research before designing it isn't something they force down your throat. It's more about doing that yourself without thinking about it.


During one of my first lectures, I was told about a website called Pinterest (honestly, look it up 'cause its brilliant) which you could use for free. So basically it is a image search site where you can save your own images onto things called boards. This means that you could look at them later and in their own sections. This was something i've absolutely loved using ever since because it allows me to just research anything I like and keep it for later. Normally just going down to the library to find an artist I want to look at however as i'm designing more practical things at university, I needed somewhere else to go. If any of you are doing University work or just general design work, I'd highly recommend that you check out Pinterest. It is easy, simple and great to use. There are other sites like this which are more professional such as Dribbble (Yes, there is meant to be three B's) but they are for more professional usage. This is just something you can use casually to get a few ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment